There are not many of us but, I am still part of the virgin hair girls team. My mom prohibited to let me dye my hair from an early age and when I was old enough to take the decision, I never found a color that suited me more than my own. I am also well aware that my hair grows at an incredible fast pace so thinking about the time and money investment didn’t help.
But I am a woman, and if there’s anything more in common between us is getting bored of our looks, am I right? How could we not… there are just so many options!
Despite been tempted on trying something new, having virgin hair comes with a big PRO: healthy hair.
When I decided that I’d like to achieve a mermaid look for Summer, the first thing on my mind was the fact that I was not going to commit to it, nor my hair color nor my hair health.
That’s when I found about hair makeup, hair color spray, hair color wax, hair chalk, color depositing masks, color depositing shampoos and permanent dye shampoos.
As you can see there are so many options out there without having to commit for colored hair. Keep reading to know why I decided for hair makeup among them all, my experience and results.
When I started checking out my options I was pleased to see so many products in the market. These are the ones I found and the most popular brands on each category:
- Hair Makeup: It lasts 1 day after application or fades until you wash it out. Better for highlights or hints of color. Some lighter tones are noticeable ONLY on light hair (natural or bleached) and darker color dyes could stain (leave color deposit for longer time) on light hair tones.
- Hair Color Spray: It lasts 1 day after application or fades until you wash it out. Better for highlights or hints of color. Light color dyes are noticeable on all hair tones.
- Hair Color Wax: It lasts 1 day after application or fades until you wash it out. Better for full hair color transformation. Light color waxes are noticeable on all hair tones.
- Hair Chalk: It lasts 1 day after application or fades until you wash it out. Better for highlights or hints of color. Some lighter tones are noticeable ONLY on light hair (natural or bleached). Dark chalks do not stain light hair tones.
- Color Depositing Masks: It lasts 1-2 weeks after application. Better for full hair color transformation. Some lighter tones are noticeable ONLY on light hair (natural or bleached) and darker color dyes could stain (leave color deposit for longer time) on light hair tones.
- Semi Permanent Color Dyes: It lasts 1-2 weeks after application. Better for full hair color transformation. Despite these products stating that they wash out, I have read many reviews from different brands saying that it changed their natural hair color or that the color won’t completely wash out several months after application, blondies be careful with this one!
I was going in for Artic Fox Hair Dye until I found out it changes your natural hair color even after removal, I ended up going for Hair Makeup from L’Oreal.
Product Used: L’OREAL COLORISTA HAIR MAKEUP 1-DAY HAIR COLOR
Application: I followed the package instructions, taking a dime size of product per strand and applied it on my dry, clean hair. I did my best to cover all my hair but with this product is quite difficult to achieve a full hair color.
The instructions said you don’t need gloves but I would still use if you don’t pinky hands.
The Result: I achieved some strawberry highlights. I loveeeed this look so much that I went back to the drugstore to get other colors. The bottle is very small and will only get me another highlighted look, take in consideration that I have short to medium length hair so if you have very long hair, one bottle could not be enough.
I slept on a black pillow and I am glad I did because I could see some color transfer. The dye on the other hand was subtle and I LOVED IT even more. It blended nicely with my natural hair color.
I applied Gisou Hair Oil because my hair was a bit dry, that made some of the dye to transfer. I waited until it dried and had no problems during the day.
Day 2 – in the night
By the end of the day, I almost had nothing on my hair without having to wash out.
In the end, this product did exactly what I was looking for: getting a pop of color on my hair without compromising my natural color or damaging my hair. I am a new fan of this product and I’ll be posting other shades on the blog along the way.
Thanks for reading me,